The European Union Cohesion Policy
A way to make Europe
The cohesion policy is the European Union’s main investment policy. The Europe 2020 Strategy is the general framework for action towards which the European cohesion policy is aimed.
Its purpose is to support the creation of employment, business competitiveness, economic growth, sustainable development and improve the quality of life of the citizens of all regions and cities in the European Union.
The strategy sets three models of growth and 11 priority areas so that the European Union and its Member States can promote the creation of employment, productivity and social cohesion.
Smart growth: promoting an economy based on knowledge and innovation.
Sustainable growth: promoting a greener and more competitive economy that uses resources more efficiently.
Inclusive growth: promoting an economy with high rates of employment enabling the development of social and territorial cohesion.
- Research, technological development and innovation
- Information and communications technologies (ICT)
- Competitiveness for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)
- Shift to a low-carbon economy
- Adaptation to climate change and the prevention and management of risks
- Environmental protection and resource efficiency
- Sustainable transport and the elimination of bottlenecks in key network infrastructures
- Employment and support for labour mobility
- Social inclusion and the fight against poverty
- Education, skills and continuous training
- Creation of institutional capacity and efficiency in the public administration
Distribution of resources by priority areas co-funded with ERDF, in accordance with the ERDF CATALONIA OP 2014-2020. EC-approved. Thousand €.
|Priority areas||Total expenditure||ERDF Contribution||%|
|Area 1: To promote research, technological development and innovation||653.409||326.705||40%|
|Area 2: To improve the use and quality of ICT and access to them||120.365||60.182||7%|
|Area 3: To improve the competitiveness of SMEs||303.856||151.928||19%|
|Area 4: To ease the transition towards a low-carbon economy in all sectors||257.925||128.962||16%|
|Area 6: To preserve and protect the environment and promote the efficiency of resources||263.943||131.971||16%|